The Mulligan Ferry, in the middle of the river, surrounded by beads.
History of Lac-Sainte-Marie
Click on the picture above to see a slideshow of 14 pictures of Lac-Sainte-Marie history.
Forestry and agriculture were the cornerstones in the development of the municipality of Lac-Sainte-Marie.
The first mass was celebrated by Father Labelle.
In 1928, following the development of the «Paugan» Hydro-Electric dam situated in Low Quebec, the Lac-Sainte-Marie village was flooded and relocated.
This flood transformed our lake into a larger and more beautiful one that tourists enjoyed; soon they began to build cottages on its shores.
As a result of the development of Mont Ste-Marie and the economic repercussions, the village grew and more projects were undertaken.
Our lakes, as well as the Gatineau River’s 70 kilometer navigable corridor, are great for nature-lovers year-round.
The sector surrounding Lac-Sainte-Marie was discovered over the years, and tourism expanded. Each season has it’s own cachet and every detour its own enchanted scenery.
Take advantage of all that nature has to offer and keep in mind the unforgettable images.
Come back soon to Lac-Sainte-Marie.